Friday 16 May 2014

Blogger's Quilt Festival - Sunshine Through the Rain

I absolutely love Amy's biannual Blogger's Quilt Festival - looking through all the entries is always inspiring, and I love adding new blogs to my reader. I don't have anything brand new this time around, but I've had fun looking through my finishes since the last festival and deciding which two to choose. If you're popping in for the festival, welcome to my blog!

I couldn't not pick this little quilt for one of my entries - I'm still a little sad that it's finished, it really was such a joy to make. So I'm entering Sunshine Through the Rain in the original quilt category. I live in Tasmania, the little island to the south of mainland Australia - and in winter we have a lot of grey, rainy days that seem to go on forever. I get really grumpy and down in this kind of weather, so I made this as a gentle reminder to myself to try to stay positive regardless of what is going on outside my window. Winter seems to have arrived early this year, so it's been quite a therapeutic quilt already :o)


You can read all about the construction of this quilt here. I appliqued the rain drops using needle turn applique, and then improv-pieced the quilt top using a range of grey and white light value prints. It is densely matchstick quilted using a variegated grey Aurifil 40wt thread for the most part, with a light yellow thread around the sun. The dense quilting has made the raindrops and sun rays pop beautifully from the quilt top, and feels incredible.


Quilt stats:
Techniques: Needle turn applique, improvisational piecing, matchstick quilting.
Size: 30" x 36"
Quilted: using FMQ matchstick quilting on my Bernina 440QE, using Aurifil 40 threads.
Design: Improvisationally designed (ie I made it up as I went along!)

I hope you enjoy the rest of the festival!

xx Jess

26 comments:

Nina Marie said...

ohhh this is great - I love the muted palette - I would like to invite you to add to my Off the Friday link up and share it with our art quilt group!

Kymberly said...

What a beautiful quilt. I love the idea of making a happy quilt to look at in the winter.

Canadian Abroad said...

You never fail to impress me. Another gorgeous original from you.

quilthexle said...

What a fantastic quilt ! I know what you're talking about ... German winters can be dull and grey, too ... Thanks for sharing this quilt, I'll be back ;-))

Annabella said...

Another beauty and so original.

Andrea @ Mouse in My Pocket said...

This quilt is lovely, both modern and scrappy at the same time. What a beautiful original design.

dutchcomfort said...

Such an original and beautiful quilt!

Heather @ Winding Bobbins said...

This quilt is perfect. Love it!

Rachaeldaisy said...

Such a sweet and beautiful quilt.

Dawn said...

Congratulations this quilt is absolutely awesome!!!!

Archie The Wonder Dog said...

I love it!

Cille said...

Great to see this one again - it's pure eye candy!

Jennie said...

This is a beautiful quilt - and even though it's about rain it's very cheery. I love the quilting!

Jennifer said...

This came out great! I love the improv background.

Mrs Flying Blind... said...

Really awesome - hope your winter isn't too gloomy xxx

Just A Southern Girl said...

I really love your quilt! The choice of fabrics, the design, everything works together to make one happy quilt! Hope it cheers you up all winter long!

CitricSugar said...

You had me at improv and matchstick and then you go and up the ante with the raindrops....

Another stunner, m'dear!

Unknown said...

This is wonderful! Very original and inspiring!

Newbie Jen said...

You already know how much I love this quilt, but just in case I wasn't clear before....I LOVE THIS QUILT!

So nice to see it entered in the festival!

DeborahGun said...

same here - I love this one so much. I hope it gets a Viewers award :-)

MaterialGirlQuilts said...

I just love it! Your work always amazes me :)
Amanda

Juliet @ Tartankiwi said...

I love this quilt Jess and the quilting just takes my breathe away! You have such a talent! Well done on creating another beautiful quilt.

audrey said...

This is an amazing quilt! Love it!

Katelyn @ Sing While Crafting said...

This is gorgeous! I love your improve piecing and your design. The message is fantastic also!
- Katelyn @ Sing While Crafting

the zen quilter said...

Quiet but lovely!

Hilary Florence said...

Hi Jess,
I was really pleased to see this quilt got through to the last 25 - as you must be too! It's great to see a modern, art, improvised quilt being appreciated.