Monday 6 January 2014

Reflections and Predictions

Yes, it's another 2013 review post! I've done a post like this at the beginning of the last couple of years, and I've found it to be a good way to reflect on how I'm growing as a quilter and to find a focus for the coming year. Last year my word was balance. We had a major life change early last year when my partner changed jobs, meaning he was home all the time (rather than working away about 50% of the year). It wasn't a difficult transition, but it did involve a change in how I balance my time (especially going from essentially having evenings by myself (to sew) to actually having another adult around who I love spending time with). We seemed to find a happy medium somehow - I've managed to spend time with all my loved ones, keep the house in a reasonable state and make stuff. I call it a win. As for a word for this year, I'm still thinking on it. 

I made quite a lot of stuff last year. There were bags, cushions and mini quilts.


1. DUDQS finished, 2. doll quilt, 3. Forest quilt side shot, 4. PTS 10 Finished, 5. Knitting Bag Front, 6. Tardis Mug Rug, 7. Reflected Textures Pillow, 8. Sashiko cushion, 9. Tesseract

There were quite a few quilty finishes, and more quilt tops - although three finishes are still secret until they are published this year (two hopefully in the very near future.) One of the biggest things I've noticed about my quilts last year is that I've definitely moved away from quick finishes toward more complex piecing and quilting. Although I still don't know where I really fit in terms of exactly what kind of quilter I am (and I don't feel the need to) I feel like I'm really starting to find my groove in terms of what I really love to make. Being challenged by what I'm working on makes me happy, and I think that will be a big focus again this year.



1. Full quilt - Retro Flowers, 2. Mario full, 3. colour blocks quilt top, 4. Full moon lagoon quilted, 5. Marcelle Medallion finished, 6. Once Upon a Time

Apart from that, I'm hoping this year will see me making more quilts for publication and releasing more quilt patterns (I will be looking for pattern testers so please let me know if you're interested!). I'm also looking forward to knocking over some of my long term WIPs as part of Fabriholics Anonymous, and will be linking up with the lovely and hilarious Katy for the FAL.

I'd love to know if you have any big plans for this year!


xx Jess




16 comments:

Charlotte said...

looking forward to seeing what you come up with this year!

Janine @ Rainbow Hare said...

Happy New Year, Jess! I'm looking forward to seeing what you make this year :)

Kristy said...

I've also found interest in more complex piecing techniques as I've been quilting longer and get much satisfaction from the finished objects although there are fewer of them.

Love to test for you if your still looking for volunteers.

Annabella said...

You're such an awesome quilter Jess - I always love everything you make. Happy New Year!

Kelly said...

I am thinking you are going to rock 2014 as well as you did 2013!

Lou said...

Love all your makes, can't wait to see what you come up with in 2014! My goal for 2014 is basically to try new things (appliqué and/or paper piecing), and try not to grow the list of things to make to unmanageable proportions!!

Di said...

You have achieved a lot in 2013. Looking forward to seeing what you make in 2014. Di x

Katy Cameron said...

Damnit, now I feel like I have to come up with an amusing way to say 'You had some fabulous finishes this year' ;o)

Hope you have a fabulous 2014, and I look forward to enabling your WIPS at every available opportunity (or at least every quarter...)

Nat at Made in Home said...

Looking forward to more patterns and more beautiful quilts from you!

moira said...

love your new blog selfie x

DeborahGun said...

what a year you have had Jess. I love seeing everything you make and how you push and challenge yourself :-) Can't wait to see (maybe) some more dressmaking :-) Happy to go on your pattern tester list too :-)

Sarah @ sarahquilts.com said...

I'm with you on loving the more challenging and complex quilts! I think that's a really exciting and growing area in the industry.

I would be available to test for you later this winter!

Carli The Quilter said...

HI Jess, my big plans include the Crazy Quilt Along 2014 which is full now, lol, Carli

Ella said...

You've seen my lists, often referred to as the lists of insanity. Also, would love love to test for you anytime!

Rachaeldaisy said...

Sounds like a great plan for 2014! I've noticed if I make a plan something will happen to mess it up so now I just take it quilt by quilt.

Rachaeldaisy said...

Oops I pushed publish before I got to say its wonderful to see your mosaics of finished projects, you make the best things!!