Tuesday 28 February 2012

For The Love of Solids Round 2

I finally got around to getting the thread I needed and finished off my For the Love of Solids swap big item. I'm pretty happy with how its come together, and I really hope my swap partner likes it!

My partner had requested stars in her swap info, and around the time this swap started Elizabeth Hartman had started her sparkle punch QAL, so I exhibited a total lack of imagination and went with a sparkle punch made from solids ;) I did make a small change, and used 2.5" squares instead of 3.5". The colours are based loosely on my partner's mosaic - I can't remember all of them but they include Kona wine, mulberry, lupine, lilac, berry, jade green and cyan (all from Sew Fresh Fabric on etsy) and the background is Kona coal.


I guess it could be hung as a mini-quilt (it measures about 19" x 30"), but I've sewn on some ties for it to be a sewing machine cover. My machine dimensions are bigger (so its a tight fit, and a bit short modelled on my machine) but I'm hoping it will be a perfect fit for my partner's machine :)


I've quilted it using a combination of machine and hand quilting - only because I am so insanely slow at hand quilting, it would have taken me weeks to get it finished!


All that remains is whether I make a small item or send something purchased (still not sure about this - but I am toying with making a matching thread catcher...)

Jess

10 comments:

Jess @ Scrappy n Happy said...

What a great cover! And it would like fantastic as a wall hanging like you said...just pin the ties behind!

Cynthia@wabisabiquilts said...

The Kona coal is a great background for those colored stars. What a nice cover! I'm sure your partner will appreciate it! This inspires me to consider making a more artful cover for my machine...

moira said...

I'm doing the Sparkle Punch QAL and was stuck as to how to quilt the thing. Your quilting here has inspired me :)

Katy Cameron said...

Looks great, and I'm all about the multi-tasking way of tackling swaps/QALs and comps ;o)

Dianne Neale said...

I think the two types of quilting together look great. The hand quilted ones really pop out!

elizabeth said...

I love the colors in your mini quilt! And your quilting, both hand and machine is wonderful : )

Danny Heyen said...

This is so pretty. I'm sure I've already told you that, but I really love it.

Dree said...

Very nice!

Heather D. said...

Hey Jess, I'm curious about the Kona Wine colour that you used here. Is it as red as it looks in your photos, or is it more a pink-y wine colour? If it's a red wine colour then I'm sold (for the borders on my scrappy postage stamp quilt) but if it's a pink/purple wine colour, maybe not.

Thanks Jess!!

Heather D. said...

OOh, wait a minute, maybe it's the purple colour in your project and not the red colour. Hmmmm.